Ocular disease is a broad term that can refer to any eye disorder, and the treatments will vary based on not only the condition but also the severity and progression of it. It’s critical for people to find an eye doctor in Riverdale, NJ who will tailor their treatment plan for the best results. Here’s what you should know about ocular disease treatment.
The Main Ocular Diseases
The main ocular diseases include:
- Cataracts: A cataract is a collection of proteins that obscure the natural lens of the eye.
- Glaucoma: This disorder refers to a drainage problem. When fluids collect, they can interfere with your nerves and ultimately, your eyesight.
- Diabetic retinopathy: Your blood sugar can cause problems with your blood vessels. Because the ones in your eyes are so tiny, this condition can cause bleeding and eventual blindness.
- Macular degeneration: This disease affects the tissue that controls your main vision.
- Dry eye: A relatively common condition that affects the production of tears. Dry eyes can occur for any number of reasons, including environmental changes.
- Pink eye: Also known as conjunctivitis, this affects the membrane between your eyelid and the white portion of your eye.
- Keratoconus: Known for its distinctive bulging shape, this disease affects the corneal tissue of the eye. This can cause distortion to what you see.
Treatments of Ocular Diseases
Luckily, ocular diseases are largely treatable, particularly if they’re caught early on. Cataracts can be controlled by one of the most routine surgeries on the planet, while glaucoma can be managed with oral prescriptions and eye drops. (In some cases, you may need surgery though to improve drainage.) And in addition to controlling diabetes with lifestyle choices, there are solutions that can prevent the formation of new blood vessels if you have retinopathy. Other common treatments include eye drops, special contact lenses, and UV treatments.
Ocular Disease Treatment in Riverdale, NJ
If you’re looking for ocular disease treatment in Riverdale, NJ, Riverdale Vision Care is here to find the best possible options for you. Our staff cannot stress enough just how important it is to catch these disorders early on, so you can get the right intervention at the right time.