Glaucoma is an eye condition that can cause permanent eye damage and even full blindness. Unfortunately, there are many people who don’t know how to protect themselves from glaucoma, or even recognize the signs of glaucoma. If you’re experiencing symptoms of an eye condition, or have a family history of glaucoma, it’s important to consult with your eye doctor in Riverdale NJ. Educating yourself about glaucoma can help you avoid problems. Here’s what to know.
What Is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a condition caused by increased pressure in the eye. This pressure can cause damage to the optic nerve. There are several types of glaucoma, but all types can cause irreversible damage to your eyes and vision. Untreated glaucoma can cause permanent damage, so it’s important to see your eye doctor regularly to get diagnosis and treatment.
Who Is At Risk?
There are many variables that can put you at greater risk for glaucoma.
- Age – people over age 60 are at greater risk of contracting glaucoma
- Genetics – If members of your family have had glaucoma, you could be at greater risk
- Medical status – Some medical conditions like heart disease and high blood pressure can put you at risk for glaucoma
- Eye health – People who are very nearsighted for farsighted are also at risk for glaucoma
- Medications – Certain medications can also put you at risk for developing glaucoma
There are other factors that can also put you at risk for developing glaucoma, so talk to your eye doctor to find out if you are at risk.
Symptoms of glaucoma can be very subtle. In fact, in the earliest stages, some types of glaucoma have no symptoms at all. Your eye doctor can detect whether you have glaucoma, even if you have no symptoms. Getting checked regularly for glaucoma and other conditions can help you determine whether you have this condition. Symptoms include:
- Eye pain
- Very bad headache
- Blurry vision
- Eye redness
When Should You See An Eye Doctor
See your eye doctor regularly. Comprehensive eye exams in Riverdale NJ can help you determine whether you suffer from a condition like glaucoma. To make an appointment, call Riverdale Vision Care today.